UCx with WebEx enables you to send and receive SMS direct from UCx.
- Send & Receive SMS Text messages to mobile phones, from your business phone number.
- Use the same messaging interface you use every day with UCx with Webex.
- Unlimited texting to and from any US or Canadian mobile phone
Before you are able to send and receive SMS messages through UCx with Webex, there are a few preliminary steps that must be completed.
Step 1: Add your company’s SMS Bot as a contact
This is a one-time process.
- Click the + on the top of your Webex screen. A drop-down menu will display.
- Select Add a Contact
- In the window that opens, search for your company’s SMS Bot. You may need to contact your administrator for your company’s SMS Bot name.
- When your company’s SMS Bot comes up, select it and click Add to add it to your contacts
Note: The name of your SMS bot will be unique to your organization, most often using a format similar to, “yourcompanySMS”.
- Now that the preliminary steps are complete, you may now start a new SMS conversation to any mobile number using the newly added bot.
Step 2: Begin using your SMS Bot
In order to send and receive SMS messages to a recipient, you must first connect to your company’s SMS Bot.
- Open up your Contact list and Select your company’s SMS Bot
- Click the message icon to start a new message space between you and your company’s SMS Bot. Your new space will look like this:
Step 3: Create a new SMS Conversation Space
Almost there. Now you must create a Conversation Space for the mobile recipient you want to send and receive SMS messages with.
- In the message window you just created between you and your company’s SMS bot, type Message [1phonenumber] in the chat box. For example, to start a conversation with (999) 999-9999, you would type Message 19999999999.
Note: Do not forget to put a space between Message and the phone number as seen below.
- A new Space will be created between you and you SMS recipient in the following format “recepientsphonenumber:yourbusinessnumber” as Space name
- Click on the newly created space
Step 4: Send your SMS Message
Now you’re ready to send and receive SMS messages with your recipient’s mobile phone.
- To send an SMS message to the recipient, whether initiating a new message or responding to one, always tag the Bot with “@” prefix and then type your message. This must be done for every message you are sending out to a recipient. Untagged messages will appear in the space, but will not be received by your recipient. Your SMS bot is the messenger between you and your SMS recipient, but only if you tag it.
- Hit enter and your message will be sent as an SMS to the recipient
Receiving an SMS message
When the recipient responds from their mobile device you will see their response appear and display on the active message window.
- If you receive an SMS message from a mobile number that you have not exchanged messages with, a new space will be created automatically. The message will be displayed in the space. Spaces are named in the format of “sendersphonenumber:yourbusinessnumber”
Renaming an SMS Space
- The default space name is set to “Phone Number:xxx”, where phone number is the sender’s number and xxx is the name provided while creating the mapping. You can rename the space to something more meaningful, for example, “Ryan’s Mobile Phone:Group 1”.
- To rename a space, select the space
- Select the “Edit” button at the top of the space
- Enter a new name and click Save
Leaving / Deleting an SMS Space
- You can leave the space at any time where you are having a conversation with a recipient through the Bot
- To leave, right click the Space and select Leave
Things to note:
Do not remove the bot from any space that you are having an SMS conversation with a recipient. Doing so will impede your ability to SMS with that individual.